Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

John Williamson wrote:
David Robinson wrote:
Not my question, or belief, but found here...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755197

Is there a counter-argument?

It depends on the cross sectional area of the cable cores. As is
correctly pointed out in the thread, the fuse is to protect against
cable faults, not internal faults in the box. If the cores are too
small, a 13 A fuse may not blow or carry enough current to rapidly
trip the MCB, leading to a cable that at the best is going to melt the
insulation, and at worst may start a fire.

I am sure that some boiler installation manuals state the use of a 3A fuse -
and there is no legal reason why a boiler cannot be powered using a plug and
unswitched socket......

--
Adam