Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Generac Generator Experience?

On 11/7/2012 9:57 AM, wrote:
Anyone here have experience with Generac generators in terms of
reliability, problems, etc? Most interested in the Guardian whole
house
standby type that run on nat gas.

A friend has a 12KW one that is about 5 years old. It apparently has
a bad rotor, possibly more wrong with it. Trying to figure out if
it's worth
fixing or if they are inherently cheap crap.

TIA

I installed and have a 6 year old Generac natural gas 7KW model, and
have been directly involved in selecting and assisting in the
installation of quite a few other Generac units up to 16KW size. They
were all installed directly as a result of a freak October ice storm
which took nearly 2 weeks to restore power.

All of the Generacs I follow are all working properly and each does a
weekly exercise of approx 12 minutes to confirm that the unit is working
properly. There have been no outages in the ensuing 6 years since they
were installed, so I cannot confidently claim that they will do the job
when actually called upon. Any simulated outages I have deliberately
created have immediately switched the generator on and transferred power
correctly so I do have some confidence that the Generac will do the job
when actually needed.

Sort of ironic that in the 3 years preceding my installation, there were
4 outages including the extremely long one I mentioned above of nearly 2
weeks duration.

Since the Generac was installed, I have never had an outage and thus
feel like somebody who has purchased insurance but never had a claim.

Smarty