Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Valve amp transformer bodge

"John Robertson" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I have a WEM Dominator Bass Mk1 with a blown mains transformer (shorted
primary).
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/brita...cs/dommk3.html

As a possible alternative to a rewind, which I haven't investigated yet

if I got 2 x 240v : 6v transformers (I am in the UK) and connected both
secondaries together to get 240v back out for the HT, could I use the 6v
as a heater supply, or is it best to use a separate transformer for this
(or a better way to get the 6.3v)

I realise that the rectified 240v may be a little high for this amp, but
maybe loading the 6v tap with heaters might be just the thing to bring it
down somewhat, or I could use another method.

(I also note the 6.3v winding is centre tapped and grounded on this
circuit)

Cheers,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Have you no isolation transformers on your side of the pond?

Remember that the maximum current you can draw is the ratio of the 6.3V to
its amperage compared to 240V. So if the 6.3VAC was rated at 10A, then the
other side of your proposed pair would be 240V @ 262.5ma (assuming 100%
efficiency). I suspect you will be having trouble with your idea if the
6.3V output current is even less!

Hmm, I haven't really thought this through, I didn't consider an isolation
transformer!

I guess an isolation transformer and a heater transformer would be a lot
less iron overall.

Thanks,

Gareth.