Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 11/7/2012 4:49 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 6, 7:20 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:27:48 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Nov 6, 11:42 am, Han wrote:
harry wrote :

On Nov 6, 12:49 am, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:20:38 -0800, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:55:54 -0500, wrote:

If they actually follow the FEMA rules, all of the Jersey shore
houses will be built on pilings when they put them back. If Jersey
is like NOLA they will allow them to ignore the law, they will
build back at grade and we will buy them new houses ,... again...
when the next storm comes.

Even houses on pilings didn't withstand the storm in many cases.
How
tall do you make the pilings? And how well do you crossbrace them?

... The best idea I've read about years ago was to use 12" steel
I-beam for the pilings, welded cross members with a flat deck.

Steel and salt water don't go all that well together.

If the house (single story) blows off the pilings, it is easy build
back upon. The I-beams are better than wood pilings.

Don't believe it.

Ships are made out of steel. Any immersion is only brief.

Come on harry, you're not that dense, are you? These houses are built
on/in dunes. It always blows salt around there. Good thick steel will
last a while, but sitting in the soil in salt water year round can't be
good for them.

--
Best regards
Han

There are steel framed buildings in New York are there not?
There are steel piers in the UK more than a hundred years old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Piers_Society
Here is an iron and steel building right by the sea in the UK more
than 100 years old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackpool_tower
With only paint protection.

They get painted every year. Most homeowners are not going to do that.
We have plenty of steel bridges but they are government boondoggles
that employ hundreds of maintenance people ... and they still fall
down now and then.
In the sub tropics the rust problem is a whole lot worse.
Heat speeds up the reaction

Aside from that, American houses are ****. Steel would easily outlast
them.

It depends on where you are talking about. If you are building under
the current coastal code, you end up with a very sturdy house.

Steel structures here don't get painted every year. The underwater
parts never on piers etc.
There are paint systems now that are good for thirty years in arduous
conditions, more in non arduous conditions.

Heck, the government always comes along and bans the good stuff because
it harms the endangered Three Toed Barking Sea Snail. I seem to remember
an anti-fouling paint that worked very well but was outlawed because it
worked too well killing anything that tried to attach itself to steel
boat hulls and other underwater steel structures. O_o

TDD