Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Valve amp transformer bodge

Hi,

I have a WEM Dominator Bass Mk1 with a blown mains transformer (shorted
primary).
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/brita...cs/dommk3.html

As a possible alternative to a rewind, which I haven't investigated yet

if I got 2 x 240v : 6v transformers (I am in the UK) and connected both
secondaries together to get 240v back out for the HT, could I use the 6v as
a heater supply, or is it best to use a separate transformer for this (or a
better way to get the 6.3v)

I realise that the rectified 240v may be a little high for this amp, but
maybe loading the 6v tap with heaters might be just the thing to bring it
down somewhat, or I could use another method.

(I also note the 6.3v winding is centre tapped and grounded on this circuit)

Cheers,

Gareth.