Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Make your predictions, experts

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 23:32:32 -0600, Ignoramus5113

On 2012-11-07, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 15:37:21 -0600, Ignoramus5113

On 2012-11-06, Karl Townsend wrote:
This fundamental issue is also combining with automation to further
erode the ability of a country's economy to gainfully employ the
majority of it's population. When the production of all the products and
services required by 100% of the population only requires 20% of the
population's labor you have another serious problem that has no easy
solution.

The easy solution is called a service economy. Nobody said that
"production" is the only real economic activity.

So the easy solution is to have everyone shining everyone elses shoes.

Well, if, say, there is a super brilliant CNC machine that makes all
goods without any labor input, then, yes, we can have an economy where
95% of people earn a living by providing services.

Odd how you cant remember the Dialectic, yet its oviously ingrained
into your id.

Gunner

The problem is one of scale. You got an assembly line that employees,
say 200 people, and you replace it with a CNC machine (imported) that
uses one guy to write the code, one guy for mechanical/electrical
maintenance, and one guy to sweep the floor.

What are the 197 other guys going to do?

It is all well and good to say "Services" but we already got the three
"service" guys we need and they'll probably hang around until they are
in their 60's.
--
Cheers,
John B.