Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Lessons from Sandy

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 23:37:58 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 5, 7:24Â*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 00:30:49 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Nov 4, 6:44Â*pm, Han wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote :

On 11/4/2012 11:12 AM, Han wrote:
bob haller wrote in
:

On Oct 31, 8:40 am, Frank wrote:
On 10/31/2012 8:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For me, they include:

* Run the generator every year
* Boredom is a terrible thing
* Candles don't put out enough light to be useful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Â* Â*www.lds.org
.

Things you should have already known.
Family here learned also that you should not run your generator
indoors.

My neighbor who came over for water an outage or two ago was
complaining that they could not find any D cells for their portable
radio.

Some people never learn.

A inverter is a wonderful thing, just connect to your car battery
and let engine idle. for a 100 bucks you can get a thousand watt
inverter, for lights, radio and a tv if the load isnt too heavy

I have a 150 Watt inverter and finally got a friend to help hooking
it up to the furnace (we went 99 hours without power in NE NJ,
07410). Â*Furnace is natural gas-fired, circulating hot water. Â*The
inverter hookup worked fine, but I had to have the engine running, of
course. Â*It is OK for short emergencies, but I'd like better. Â*Will
be looking ...

150 watts looks a bit small to me for running a furnace. Are you sure
it wasn't a 1,500 watt unit? O_o

TDD

I am sure. Â*The furnace only needs electricity to run a small circulating
pump, plus power up a solenoid for the damper. Â*Plus, it did work grin.
But I don't like to sacrifice my only vehicle for this if I can avoid it.

--
Best regards
Han

If you can do it, the best solution is a small wood burning stove and
some wood in store.
The gas can go off too you know. Â*You can get stoves with a hotplate
to cook on.
You can always get more wood if the outage turns out to be a long one,
getting more petrol/gas might be difficult.
That is what I have, along with a five year stock of wood.

Saw all the long queues for petrol on the box over here. Those folks
should have bought Â*and stored a bicycle.

These sort of things are going to become more frequent.
Their houses will be near worthless now after they have rebuilt them.
They could and should flood proof them. I wonder if they have the wit
to do it?

Â*Floodproof? in Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens???? You are
dreaming, Harry. Out in the "sticks" they could (and some do) put them
up on stilts, but even Noah's Ark may have had a close call with
Sandy. It did take down the Bounty.

As whole neighbourhoods are demolished, raising the new houses would
be no problem
The lower floors have only garages and other non-habitable rooms.
Boundary walls are substantially constructed and form flood barriers
with watertight gates. Removable watertight barriers can be fitted to
doorways

Buildlings are of masonry construction and the lower parts of walls
and floors are tiled to swimming pool standards.
There can be no basements.
Electrical wiring is all run from the top down, there are no low level
outlets
The lower part of staircases is of concrete construction.
Fixed furniture is (eg kitchen) of metal.
There is high level easily accessible storage for high value items.
Skirting/baseboards are plastic fixed with brass screws
Arrangements are made to drain floodwater as it recedes.

Works for single family homes, but how are you going to put MURBS on
stilts and guarantee the footings won't wash out? One single family
house going down is not a disaster. An apartment building loosing it's
footing is.