Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 11/6/2012 2:52 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:44:12 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/6/2012 10:44 AM,
wrote:

That is a guy who was never a sailor.

Painting steel ships is an ongoing job and there is always someone
chipping and painting something.

The real problem near the beach is salt air. Hot dipped galvanized is
just a stop gap measure. You really need stainless or aluminum.

In the late 80's I was out in The Marshall Islands and I saw some of the
Japanese coastal gun emplacements from WWII rusting away. The gun
barrels and gears were flaking off layers of rust and crumbling but
the only intact pieces of metal were the galvanized sheet metal covers
on parts of the guns. ^_^

TDD

This is a 4 year old hot dipped galvanized anchor

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/anchor.jpg

I saw a lot of corroded metal out in the islands and the galvanized
sheet metal that disintegrated was the metal that had its zinc coating
damaged or worn off. I've used spray on zinc coatings on parts in
cooling towers to add life to them. ^_^

TDD