Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default New hot water tank in july, what is fair?

On Nov 6, 12:56*pm, George wrote:
On 11/6/2012 9:12 AM, bob haller wrote:

My GFs sisters family bought a new sears water heater and had it
installed by sears last july. It quit working over a week ago and
sears hasnt got the parts yet, they promise AGAIN it will be fixed
by friday some parts didnt help......

Meanwhile no hot water at all

I think *sears should of had the parts overnighted, and since they
have been unable to fix it they should offer a refund on the tank.
maybe 50% but perhaps more.

what do all of you think? I beleve no hot water for over a week is
unacceptable.....

and this occured in pittsburgh far from the new york disaster...

I gave up on sears after this. We had a sears refrigerator and one
morning I noticed the evaporator fan had failed. I called the local
"sears part center" and they verified they had one on hand. I asked them
to hold it for me. Drove all the way to the store and they say they
don't have one. I asked the guy to check if one was at another store or
they can get one shipped in from someplace else and he told me I would
need to check around on my own. So I forget about sears forever more.

Instead of sears I called an appliance parts place that was further
away. They said they had a universal model that came with various
brackets. I drove over there and bought it then back home to install.

As far as your case likely their warranty specifies you are on your own.
So fair is whatever you can get.

Well the victim of no parts in stock live in pittsburgh pa a pretty
big town with the major parts service depot on 51st street ..ornite
fed Xtype parts delivery should be the norm for brand new tank fails
under warranty.... not repeated parts will be here in 3 days.

I quit buying anything from sears that will ever need service after
being charged twice for a furnace with air service. travel charge one
was fine but half of a 100 bucks for the tech on site to swap tool
kits is plain gouging. sears is headed to bankruptcy and liquidation
and they deserve it.