Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Final Voyage

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 19:44:10 -0600, the renowned Richard
wrote:

On 11/6/2012 10:58 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/6/2012 1:44 AM, azotic wrote:
The USS Enterprise, the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier,
pulled into its home port for the final time Sunday, before heading for
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard to be scrapped.

Things frequently break down, and spare parts for a ship that's the only
one in its class aren't made anymore.

"She's just old, so you got to work around her," said Petty Officer 2nd
Class Danielle Almaraz, an electronic technician. "We have to make our
own parts sometimes because it just doesn't exist."

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw...rmid=head_main

Best Rgards
Tom.

Any plans to replace her with another "Enterprise"? I hope we don't
wait until we are building Starships to reuse the name.

There are attempts to get another one named but with the current climate
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Is there a replacement carrier in the wings?

Or is that another don't hold you breath thing?

2015 for the Gerald R. Ford, and then the John F. Kennedy nuclear
supercarriers with the new electromagnetic catapults by General
Atomics.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany