Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 11/6/2012 10:44 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 23:42:02 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 6, 12:49 am, wrote:

... The best idea I've read about years ago was to use 12" steel
I-beam for the pilings, welded cross members with a flat deck.

Steel and salt water don't go all that well together.

If the house (single story) blows off the pilings, it is easy build
back upon. The I-beams are better than wood pilings.

Don't believe it.

Ships are made out of steel. Any immersion is only brief.

That is a guy who was never a sailor.

Painting steel ships is an ongoing job and there is always someone
chipping and painting something.

The real problem near the beach is salt air. Hot dipped galvanized is
just a stop gap measure. You really need stainless or aluminum.

In the late 80's I was out in The Marshall Islands and I saw some of the
Japanese coastal gun emplacements from WWII rusting away. The gun
barrels and gears were flaking off layers of rust and crumbling but
the only intact pieces of metal were the galvanized sheet metal covers
on parts of the guns. ^_^

TDD