Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Lessons from Sandy

On Nov 6, 2:01*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 11/6/2012 5:08 AM, Han wrote:

wrote in
:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:00:09 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Heck, it's the sheer size of the storm as you pointed out and the
population density which is much greater than here in the Southeast.
New York city has a population almost twice the population of my whole
state and the Birmingham Metro Area consisting of a number of smaller
communities is a bit over a million. It's impossible for folks from
here in The Southeast to comprehend the number of people packed into
such a small area as New York City. We're used to open spaces here and
when a tornado hits it's more likely to tear up unpopulated spaces
than to hit densely populated areas. I can't even imagine the number
of people in other "bigger" cities of the world and how natural
disasters would affect those people. O_o

TDD

I see 4 factors.
Houses built before a flood or wind code existed,
A storm that hit a huge area with a lot of people.
A bunch of people who just did not believe it was going to happen to
them.
About a million trees that should have been trimmed or just cut down.

My only damage in Charley came from a 40 foot mango tree falling on my
screen cage..
I rented a crane and 3 Latino gentlemen with chain saws and we did
some tree trimming while the hort pickup was free. I filled up an 18
wheeler and a half.

The crane I rented was pretty popular in the neighborhood too.
Everything was falling tree damage.

FPL got real aggressive about cleaning out the right of way too.

All correct. *PSEG did a bit of tree trimming after Irene and the freak
snowstorm, but you can't trim against some things, such as 3 ft diameter
oaks toppling over.

They will rebuild on the barrier islands, just like they rebuilt (how
many times) Galveston. *The Jersey shore as it is called is like a
religion for quite a few people, and a huge source of tourist dollars.
IMNSHO, they all should be rebuilt on pilings of 10ft, so the sea can
flow under in the next big storm, but I'm not sure they'll do that.
Most people will forget that Sandy was a warning and a promise of more
to come.

The fact that the NY/NJ/CT metro area is sort of densely populated (this
to TDD) should not be an excuse for lax rules and regulations regarding
buildings and infrastructure. *On the contrary. *Also, IMNSHO, mandatory
evacuation orders should be accompanied by conserving first responders'
efforts until it isn't dangerous for them anymore.

In this are there are a lot of trailer homes and regulations for proper
tie downs and such have come about due to losses during tornadoes and
high winds which will toss them around like toys if they're unsecured.
It ALWAYS takes a disaster for prudent measures to be put in place by
law but the rule makers always seem to go overboard with regulations to
show they're doing something and satisfy their lust for power over you.
Rahm Emanuel, a famous P.L.L.C.F. once said something to that effect,
"Never let a good crisis go to waste." I see the politicians in the area
affected by the storm doing the typical behavior whenever the peasants
run to the king and demand protection. Perhaps I'm just cynical but I've
seen it all before. There will be a lot of wasted tax dollars, graft and
corruption in the years/decades after The Sandy Disaster. O_o

TDD

Well if the laws are put in place before the disaster occurs, people
whinge about their rights.
Especially in America.