Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two[_2_] Smitty Two[_2_] is offline

Default Treatment for PT pine decking?

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote:

I'd appreciate suggestions for what to apply to the wood of my newly built
deck after it dries in a few months. I know that the wood will turn gray
eventually, and I'm fine with that - I'm not interested in any kind of a
colored stain, just something that'll help to postpone the wood cracking
and
deteriorating - something I can apply easily with a mop or something
low-tech - I don't wanna have to get a pressure washer. Ideally, something
that I'd only have to apply every few years, if that, would be great.

If it matters, I used the 5\4 x 6 decking from HD.

I'm in Texas - the deck gets full sun most of the day - brutal 100+ degree
days most of the summer - no shade at this point . . .

Thanks!

The only things that withstand the elements worse than wood, are all the
things people put on wood to protect it from the elements.

I'll rephrase that, if I may: None of the things people put on wood to
protect it from the elements, stand up to the elements as well as wood.

You have two choices:

1. Leave it alone. It's wood. It will be fine all by itself out there in
the wild.

2. Put something on it that you're going to have to **** with every 2
years, not to protect the wood, but to restore the appearance of the
thing you put on that doesn't stand up to the elements as well as wood.