Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

On 11/6/2012 9:24 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

Why a transfer switch? Two extension cords, one for the furnace and
one for everything else, should be ample. Even if you install it
yourself, a transfer switch will set you back $200-$300. If you have
a licensed, union, professional install it, what with the possible
permits and inspections, you may be north of $1,000.

A couple of 100' extension cords will set you back less than a
hundred bucks.

Except that you're overlooking the rest of the issues:

1 - You still have to do re-wiring at the furnace. And the result is
usually one
that does not meet code, eg the furnace is now on a cord.
If it does meet code, it's not that much more work and
the same skill set to install an inlet and appropriate code compliant
double pole arrangement back at the panel.

2 - With the panel arrangement, you can then selectively power
whatever you
want in the house. Want to turn on a light in that upstairs closet
to get some clothes? A light in the upstairs bedroom? The gas water
heater? All that is available without running more extension cords.

3 - With the ext cord arrangement, you have to get at the appliance
cord. That means at a min rolling out fridges. And if it's built-in
like some are, you can't roll it out.....

4 - With the panel arangement, you can also power a well pump, if
you have one.

I'm sure there are other issues, but you get the idea....

I agree on the versatility of a transfer switch setup. The OP said all he
wanted to do was run a furnace, fridge, and a couple of smaller devices.
That's at most four extension cords.

To store, to find when needed. To attempt to be used say by a child or
an elderly person or even you if sick.

As for the claim that a transfer-switch is a do-all, the most common
transfer switches control six circuits and I'll wager not one of them would
be for the upstairs closet. I suspect many homes have more than six
circuits, so you'll have to prioritize which circuits are involved with the
transfer switch. This, in turn, probably means an extension cord or two
anyway - or at least a flashlight.

Its a lot better to just have something that works. I would much rather
have the heating system, fridge and other basic stuff running and maybe
worry about a flashlight than have to scramble in the dark or when sick
trying to get a heybub system running.

My neighbor paid a whopping $300 to have an automatic transfer switch
wired in.

Or, in the alternative, a 12-circuit transfer switch ($$$).

It often costs a few bucks to get a decent system installed but it
certainly isn't a fortune. I also paid to have water lines run and to
have a permanent heating system.

On a completely different matter, I'm a bit puzzled over your reference to a
gas water heater.