Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default UPDATE #2: Utility repair crews turned back

Saul Bloom wrote in
:

On 11/5/2012 9:40 PM, Han wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
news:k78ql3 :

I'm sure there is an army of bean counters working for the utilities
planing to spend just enough on the infrastructure for it to
withstand average weather events. ^_^

And this liberal is proposing that the NJ BPU and the local and state
authorities should "encourage" the utilities to invest in better,
more "hardened" transmission lines and substations, and to maintain
properly the utility pole infrastructure. Perhaps that should cost
money, perhaps even big money, but that would be an investment, and
the rate payers would have to pay. Poor me.

The trees are the problem.

Trees fall on the lines and break them.

If we really want a more reliable grid, we need to remove the trees
growing near the lines.

Indeed, there are only 2 sure ways, underground or no trees. Neither
will happen, because the trees shade the homes, and underground is too
expensive. Judicious trimming is sometimes done, and everyone complains
about the damage to the trees that look real weird afterwards (the tree
trimmers aren't familiar with esthetics).

--
Best regards
Han