Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Donating to NYC

On 11/5/2012 3:53 PM, NotMe wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The folks in NYC must need a LOT of stuff
like food, matches, camping fuel, etc. Is there
a process to donate supplies, which will be
given to needy folks, with minimum of theft,
or diversion?

I looked at the Salvation Army web site, but they
do not adress this question. I have no cash to
donate, but I could ship some canned goods,
flashlights and batteries, shampoo, etc.

More stuff while it may be of some small help is going to clog up the
system. If all you have to donate is what it would cost to ship the stuff
then go for donating the shipping cost in cash. Take the 'stuff' to the
local food bank/outreach group as there are people local to you in need as
well.

I looked at the SA and can find little info on how to help NY/NJ etc with
cash. Someone suggested the DAV and that's likely where what little I can
offer will go.

We have friends of friends that have been hammered so we're sending via the
family network assistance. I do this with the full expectation that the
excess will be delivered person to person to those close at hand who are in
need.

Before the storm hit we sent a truck load of rebuilt gen sets to members of
our extended family in KY, NC and WVA. These were equipped to power
multiple homes. According to reports that project did what was needed for
a small group of folk and their neighbors.

So one gen set here another there three or four houses with light, fridge
and power for the furnace will make a difference. I wonder what could be
accomplished if the three gen sets sitting in the middle of central park
could do if there were put to use.

It would be interesting if apartment buildings had a built in outside
connection to hook up a trailer mounted genset. ^_^

TDD