Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cabinet add on door racks

Steve B wrote:

I am a metal worker. I do have woodworking tools, and I am getting
into that. The doors have an outer frame that is 3/4" thick. The
inset face is 1/2" thick. I think that would be too thin to screw
into and trust to hold. THEREFORE, I am asking for suggestions to
mount either plywood, or French cleats, as suggested, to the back
faces of the insets. Do you think that the 3/4" frame is thick
enough to hold the racks, contents, etc, with just screws?

Indeed. You can do the French Cleat thing, but your application does not
really benefit from a French Cleat. A simple cleat run across the inside of
the door from style to style (what you refer to as the outer frame) will do
just fine. Probably does not need to be more than 3/4" wide and 1/2" thick
for what you're doing. Predrill holes in the cleat the size of the screws
you're using and predrill the styles smaller so you don't split the wood
when you run the screws in. If you use 1/2" thick cleats and you go 1/2"
into the 3/4" styles, you can use 1" screws (adjust as necessary if you
countersink). That's a lot of holding power. Then, simply screw your racks
to the cleat(s).

--

-Mike-