Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

On 11/3/2012 6:18 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Paul Drahn wrote:
On 11/2/2012 4:51 PM, noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power
oil furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/
Microwave). Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on
brands
(don't want to break the bank)? Transfer switch for this seems a straight
forward install (house is
only 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I
assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home
wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer
switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick. Thanks for any advice!

Ok, here is some advice!
Do you own you house free and clear? If so, go ahead and do it
yourself. If there is a problem and your insurance won't pay, you are
out the money.
If you have a mortgage and you have a serious problem with the switch
or your wiring and the insurance won't pay, your mortgage holder will
probably require you to pay off the balance immediately and make them
not liable for any losses.

Get it installed professionally. Not that expensive.

It IS that expensive.

But not everyone is interested in heybub quality work.