Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Marshall JTM/1962 , of 1998, amp clipping

Phil Allison wrote in message

"Nutcase Kook"

I test them by driving the speaker winding with an audio generator set

at
400Hz and checking the AC at the anode of each EL34 / 5881 with a

scope.

The amp is powered off for this, of course.

Trying a 600 ohm sig gen backwards into "8 ohm" so about 50mV pk-pk

there,
0.36V on the (from low V3 anodes) problem side "white anode" and 0.5V on
the
red other . I assume they should be much closer than that.

** The OT is ****ed.

... Phil

Looks more and more like that
I forgot about the feedback and simply swapping white and red creates an
ultrasonic oscillator via the phase change. Changed that .1uF cap and same
clipping problem.
So nowhere else to go , I may try disconnecting the feedback , take some
readings with red and white in correct positions and then swap white and red
and see if the problem side changes.
Any other ideas to try with the Tx in the amp and wiring in place?