Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Marshall JTM/1962 , of 1998, amp clipping

Phil Allison wrote in message

I test them by driving the speaker winding with an audio generator set at
400Hz and checking the AC at the anode of each EL34 / 5881 with a scope.

The amp is powered off for this, of course.

.... Phil

I forgot to say swapping output bottles did not swap the problem side.
Trying a 600 ohm sig gen backwards into "8 ohm" so about 50mV pk-pk there,
0.36V on the (from low V3 anodes) problem side "white anode" and 0.5V on the
red other . I assume they should be much closer than that. I suppose the
conclusive test is swapping red and white wires and see of the low splitter
V3 anode voltage swaps halves.