Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default Countertop ideas for a workbench?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 08:51:16 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
SMS wrote:

I tore out the workbench that was in the garage when we bought the house
(too high, too short) and am building a 3' x 10' bench, and it's almost
done, except for the top.

I need to choose a top. I'm thinking of two 36" x 80" solid core doors
cut to 36" x 60" each. These are a big expensive at $65 each, but I
think plywood is too thin, and AB plywood isn't that much less than the
doors.

Any other ideas?

I like the maple butcher block tops. A few hundred dollars, but nice to
look at, stay flat, and seem to last forever. They're heavy enough that
they'll sit on a sturdy frame (preferably fully welded 2" square steel
tubing) without bolts.

Ikea is a good source for butcher block tops. I like their beech
tops.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057396/