Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 11/4/2012 3:20 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 14:44:03 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 22:24:16 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Im thinking more along the lines of a Pinto engine or similar. When
one simply changes the pulley sizes...an idling engine can spin a
genny at 1800 rpm easily. How many hp is the typical small engine out
of a Saturn or Pinto or similar?

the little 1.9l Saturn engine is 85hp out of the box. At idle...how
long will it run on 5 gallons of fuel? 10-15 hours or more?

And they can be had very very cheaply out of wrecks and other sources.
A buddy of mine built one using the HF 10kw gennhead and a Pinto
engine. It runs for days on a 20 gallon gas tank. At something like
800 rpm

Gunner

Gunner

The Saturn 1.9 is 85HP at 5000 rpm in original form, and 100HP at
5000 with multiport injection.

Torque at 2400 is 107 and 115 respectively.

Assuming 80% torque is available at 1800 RPM, the early engine would
produce [ (.8X107)X1800/5252] =29.33 Hp

The multiport engine, under the same assumption, would produce
[(.8X115)X1800/5252] = 31.53 HP

Assuming 80% of maximum rated torque on an engine without variable
valve timing is being quite generous, from my experience.

I'd call 25 and 27 HP pretty realistic.

Also, idle consumption and full load consumption at 1800 RPM have
absolutely nothing in common. Specific fuel consumption at 1800 RPM
MAY aproach 0..4 per HP Hour. That would mean ABOUT 10 lbs per hour
for the low powered engine. At 6 lbs per american gallon of regular
gasoline, we are looking at just under 1.5 gallons per hour, so about
3.3 hours at full load - of approxemately 15 KW with an average
generator head and a reasonably well set up belt drive.
At anything less than full output, the efficiency would drop quite a
bit, so half load MIGHT give you 5 hours of running.

Take off the OEM fuel injection system and replace with a custom
tuneable unit, and retime the camshaft to move the torque peak down
closer to the running speed, and you could perhaps improve efficiency
a bit and squeeze, say, 7 hours at half load out of the system.

Oh...I went to sleep one night with my 3.0 Ford Ranger idling out
front and didnt remember it was running..and 2 days later, got ready
to go to work...walked out..and my truck was running. Used about 3/4
of a 14 gallon tank of gas.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

--

There was a well known party girl here in town who'd get sloppy drunk
and not remember where/what went on many nights. She left her little

TDD