Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Do I have wye or delta?

On 2012-11-04, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:50:23 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:34:08 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide
wrote:

On Friday, November 2, 2012 11:02:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Now that I'm getting some transformers to buck the voltage from my

phase converter I need to determine whether the output is wired wye or

delta. I think it's delta. but since it's a phase converter I just

don't know and need to be sure.

[ ... ]

Eric it might be helpful if yiou link us to the applicable Square D conections diagram...

Also, strongly suggest that when testing any transformer connection, temporarily fuse the input side with a set of relatively low amperage fuses, say, 10 amps or so in order to protect the transformer for just in case you've made a serious mistake.

Here's the link to the Schneider Electric site:
http://static.schneider-electric.us/...7414CT0201.pdf
Square D was bought by Schneider. The diagram I think I need to use is
#5 on page 6. The xmfrs are the 1.5S46F model. I used table 15, page
19 to determine which wiring diagram to use. After looking at the
above link again I'm sure that open delta wiring is what I have and
need to use.

O.K. Using *that* diagram, you will *get* open delta, even if you
aren't starting with it. Your rotary converter may be wired as delta or
as wye, and in most cases it should not matter.

Two things to consider:

1) The diagrams shown are to provide boost. If you want buck (to
lower the voltage) you want to interchange the joined X2 & X4
with the joined X1 and X3, all other things being the same.

Actually, you just swap input and output.

2) If you want full wye, go to diagram 9 on page 7 (this requires
you to have a generated neutral from the rotary converter --

He does not.

which will be hot compared to the incoming neutral, so it is
probably not a good idea.)

But -- if the transformers are big enough, you could use *one* of
them on the single phase *input* side before the rotary converter and
have the same effect -- as another poster suggested yesterday I believe.

If you need a bit more current, use two of the transformers
wired as in diagram three (also page 6) and parallel the input and
output points.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564