Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel

On 11/3/2012 7:52 PM, Ignoramus24757 wrote:
At an auction, I purchased a 400 gallon diesel fuel tank for $150. I
thought that it was empty, but turns out that it was not, it is
approximately 1/2 full, so maybe 200 gallons.

It contains dyed fuel, so we cannot use it in our semi truck legally.

I do not need as much off-road diesel fuel, and I need to know if it
is winter fuel or summer fuel. I could use some winter fuel, but not
summer fuel, this is why I am asking.

So, how can I tell them apart? Maybe put some in a bottle and in a
freezer? Any signs to watch out for?

I will sell most of it, the question is now much.

Can you drain any of the fuel from the bottom of the tank? This should
show any water in the tank. Be sure and add a filter to any place you
drain the fuel.

This must have been used for heating fuel or farm fuel. If it looks ok
when you drain a little, put an ad in Craig's List. I see lots of adds
here in Central Oregon for similar tanks, some still have diesel in them.

Paul