Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default oil c/h & h/w: pump, timer, stats, etc. usually off same fuse?

On 04/11/2012 16:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 15:04:22 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Do the job properly and use a changeover on the spur and a properly
wired in generator.

Opens a whole new can of worms regarding earthing. You have to be
absolutely sure that the bonding of generator chassis and "neutral" and
generator chassis and your supplied true earth connection are all low
enough to enable any fault protect to still operate within the prescribed
times. Not to mention that a small genset probably won't be able to
supply enough current under fault conditions either.

Personally I go for a floating L and N supply from the genset and ignore
the lack of true earth. I only connect some appliances to the genset via
extension cables. Those are heating, fridges/freezers and the fish tank.

Not a problem with all of them, but IIUC, some boilers won't flame sense
correctly without an earth reference.

Changeover switches are easy enough on TT properties, but get a bit more
complex on TN ones.

--
Cheers,

John.