Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Cement Rendering / Damp

wrote:
Hi all,

thanks for the replies.

The damp is in the inside of the external walls but also in the
dividing wall.

I know you know where the dividing wall is but I don't, the dividing wall
between what?

It goes up about 4 feet.

rising damp

The plaster seems to stop about an inch above the floor.

you'd be wise to knock off another inch or two

I say it's *in* the walls. The bricks are actually damp.

Then it needs a dampcourse, you can DIY, providing you know how to drill a
hole

There's no radiator in the kitchen but I had one put in the
extension. It seems to dry out the wall until it rains again.

It could be that the DPC has been bridged but I can't even see a DPC
to be honest. The bricks were painted black. The paint had peeled
about below where the patch of hollow render is.

Water is getting behind this patch of hollow render, and running down, which
has caused the paint to peel.

The DPC is the level of your internal floor

Could it be a water course under the extension?

No