Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba model Satellite A205, model PSAF3U-0NROOV laptop problems

"My customers reaction is often
something like... right, any new laptop except Toshiba"

I remember in the real old days they had some code you had to copy to a floppy to reset the password. It makes sense they just don't do tht anymore. Think there's any chance of getting a procedure like that some other way, like by figuring out the chipset or somethng ?

I hope it's not too stupid a question, I am not quite a guru. My advice here is based on personal experience. HA, I won't nut another Gateway after this, I found all kinds of things out about these things after while. For one - seriously substandard sound. I tried plugging it into a decent amp and speakers and UGH. Terrible. Then I find out that there is no preset "flat" on the EQ, I had to set it manually ! The camera software sucks ass and what's more that HD password issue keeps it from booting any other media just being there. I even excluded it from the boot menu and it still won't boot past it. GRRR. (supposedly that is not true of the Toshibas with the same problem)

Actually while you're here, just what kind of laptop would you recommend ? Maybe an Acer or something ?