Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oil c/h & h/w: pump, timer, stats, etc. usually off same fuse?

On 04/11/12 14:11, Harry Davis wrote:
Are all the electrics for an oil central heating and hot water system
(pump, timer, stats, etc.) usually all off a dedicated mains fuse? Or all
on the same fused spur from one of the rings?

hey should be all of one fused spur.

Whether its a dedicated ring or not is up to whoever cabled the thing
up. Normally its on another ring as the power draw is small.

Or is it common for one of the appliances to be on one ring, another on
another, etc.?

Never unless its been bodged.

The reason I ask is that we suffer from constant power cuts, and I'm
considering giving myself the option of another supply, either from a
standalone diesel generator or from batteries, thereby enabling us to keep
the heating going. I'd like to have the electrics for the heating system on
their own plug, which could be plugged either into a mains socket or a
socket powered by another supply.

Do the job properly and use a changeover on the spur and a properly
wired in generator.

Thanks in advance!

Harry

--