Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel

On 11/3/2012 9:52 PM, Ignoramus24757 wrote:
At an auction, I purchased a 400 gallon diesel fuel tank for $150. I
thought that it was empty, but turns out that it was not, it is
approximately 1/2 full, so maybe 200 gallons.

It contains dyed fuel, so we cannot use it in our semi truck legally.

I do not need as much off-road diesel fuel, and I need to know if it
is winter fuel or summer fuel. I could use some winter fuel, but not
summer fuel, this is why I am asking.

So, how can I tell them apart? Maybe put some in a bottle and in a
freezer? Any signs to watch out for?

I will sell most of it, the question is now much.

Unless it's very old fuel, it's undoubtedly summer--but it really won't
matter unless/until it gets bitter cold. If you're not going to use it
up in a relatively short time you need to add stabilizer and
conditioner, anyway, and if you're removing it from the large tank to
sell the tank, just set the small storage tank in the corner of the shop
where it's stays warmer and you'll never know the difference, probably,
anyway...

May want to project how long it will take to use X gal of this fuel just
on the longevity scale...