Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus24757 Ignoramus24757 is offline

Default How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel

On 2012-11-04, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus24757 wrote:
At an auction, I purchased a 400 gallon diesel fuel tank for $150. I
thought that it was empty, but turns out that it was not, it is
approximately 1/2 full, so maybe 200 gallons.

It contains dyed fuel, so we cannot use it in our semi truck legally.

I do not need as much off-road diesel fuel, and I need to know if it
is winter fuel or summer fuel. I could use some winter fuel, but not
summer fuel, this is why I am asking.

So, how can I tell them apart? Maybe put some in a bottle and in a
freezer? Any signs to watch out for?

I will sell most of it, the question is now much.

I would bet it's summer blend. Most places started selling winter blend
at the pumps in mid October. Depends on how the auction was set up.

BUT this isn't a big deal. Just add some kerosene to it and blend it to
the common winter blend. 15 - 20% kero will drop the cloud point. Then
add some Power Service and you should be fine.

If you plan on re purposing the tank to road diesel get it empty, then
steam clean the interior VERY well. If it has a pump clean that VERY
well also.

I agree about the timing and that it is likely summer fuel.

As for the tank, I will most likely sell it, it is a liability to have
it on my property. I want to sell the fuel separately and then the tank.