Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default HELP! what's going wrong here?

On Nov 3, 8:04*am, nestork wrote:
I don't think you'll have any problem either.

Not only is Arizona a dry climate, but cold air escaping through a hole
in your vapour barrier is going to warm up and absorb any moisture in
the walls, which is the opposite of what happens in the winter where I
live.

I'm just surprised that it's taking three coats to get a decent looking
coating over your stucco. *I expect that's because the first coat you're
putting on is acting as a sealer for the second coat. *I think priming
with a latex primer would reduce the amount of elastomeric coating you
have to put on.

PS:
All acrylic and PVA resins have enough elasticity to stretch and shrink
with wood outdoors, and primers don't need to have UV resistance and
mildew resistance because they're meant to be covered by a top coat that
would keep the sunlight and moisture off of them. *If you ever see latex
primers listed as an "Interior Latex Primer" or an "Exterior Latex
Primer", it's likely that the only difference is that the latter uses a
coalescing solvent that smells a lot, whereas the former uses one that
doesn't. *In hospitals and commercial settings it's often important not
to have the latex primer or paint smell as the coalescing solvents
evaporate because some people can get headaches from inhaling those
fumes, and generally, the less the solvent smells, the less people will
be affected by it.

--
nestork

When I did the exterior walls as a SECOND coat over previous attempts,
I got these vertical 'llines' that show up because of pattern
recognition. Someone said wait a month they'll disappear, but I think
the lines come from a change in surface 'smoothness' which will never
change with time. They do seem to be diminishing with time, not sure
why.

As an experiment, I painted only half a cupalo(sp?) tower on the south
side of the home. A week ago, I only painted half vertically because
of the height and difficulty to reach. Today I painted the second haf
and there is absolutely NO vertical line caused by an overlap! There
is an apparent change of color, which could be attributed to drying
time. We'll see.

So here it is. Wet overlap shows up, but dry overlap does not ?! That
makes no sense to me, but if it's true I'll simply adjust my painting
around it.