Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

bud-- wrote:
On 11/2/2012 5:51 PM, noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power
oil furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/
Microwave). Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on
brands
(don't want to break the bank)? Transfer switch for this seems a straight
forward install (house is
only 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I
assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home
wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer
switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick. Thanks for any advice!

Probably the cheapest way to do a transfer switch is an interlock kit:
http://www.interlockkit.com/CATALOG2008.pdf
(originally from John Grabowski)

You put a circuit breaker in the panel adjacent to the service
disconnect and back feed it from the generator. There is a mechanical
interlock mechanism on the panel cover that prevents both the service
disconnect and generator breaker from being on at the same time. You
turn on only what you want to run at a particular time and the
generator can handle.

The code also wants a simple mechanism from the manufacturer that
prevents the backfed generator breaker from unplugging.

Have you seen the prices on these? To fit my Square-D box, the part number
is K-5010. This part is a flat piece of metal, about 6x6 inches, with two
holes for screws. The price is $150.00 (up)!

If it wasn't dishonest - or at least immoral, I'd buy one from Grainger,
copy it on a piece of sheet aluminum, then return the original to Grainger.

Anybody have one I can borrow to make the copy? Or can you provide a tracing
of yours?

As of this moment, I don't have an interlock. I DO have detailed
instructions on the inside of the breaker box.