Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

I ran Romex from the generator to the furnace, with a plug at the furnace end of the line. Unplug from house current, plug into generator line.

Paul

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:19:20 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
There is a certain simplicity, here. I like it. Line from generator. Would

that be extension cord, or a power inlet, and bit of Romex? It might be

possible to put the generator out in the barn. Run some UF to the house, and

put a "powered by generator" socket next the furnace plug.

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

"Pavel314" wrote in message

Originally, the power line from the furnace went to a junction box on a

joist above the furnace, where it joined a house current line from the

breaker box. I disconnected that junction in the box and connected the house

current line from the breaker box to a plug outlet which I mounted in the

box. I then put a plug on the line from the furnace and plugged it into the

outlet in the junction box.

When the power goes out, I unplug the furnace line from the house current

box and plug it into a line coming from the generator. I did the same with

the well pump and the water heater.

Paul