Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave Another Dave is offline

Default Cement Rendering / Damp

On 02/11/12 21:26, wrote:
Hello.

I have a 1940s house, so even though it has cavity walls (I'm still learning about all this) can cement rendering cause dampness on internal walls?

My kitchen and extension's external walls are rendering. One part is "hollow" though it was fixed and the dampness is more noticeable after rain. Also both rooms have a concrete floor.

You don't say where the damp is. If it's at the bottom couple of feet of
the wall I'd suspect that the damp proof course has been bridged on the
outside by soil piling up or, in my case, by somebody plastering the
inside wall all the way to the floor (and with the wrong kind of plaster
too).

If it's higher than that is it the upper floor? If so suspect a roof or
guttering leak or, as others have said, condensation caused by lack of
ventilation.

We need more details.

Another Dave