Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

On 11/2/2012 5:51 PM, noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on brands (don't want to break the bank)?

Transfer switch for this seems a straight forward install (house is only 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

Probably the cheapest way to do a transfer switch is an interlock kit:
http://www.interlockkit.com/CATALOG2008.pdf
(originally from John Grabowski)

You put a circuit breaker in the panel adjacent to the service
disconnect and back feed it from the generator. There is a mechanical
interlock mechanism on the panel cover that prevents both the service
disconnect and generator breaker from being on at the same time. You
turn on only what you want to run at a particular time and the generator
can handle.

The code also wants a simple mechanism from the manufacturer that
prevents the backfed generator breaker from unplugging.