Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

Back feeding power into a circuit can be dangerous. Only if you are skilled
and safe with electricity would you do any wiring. I am not suggesting, or
reccomending anyone do any wiring.

In theory, one could unwire the furnace from the house power, and insulate
the house power wires. Connect the furnace wires to a cord and plug
harvested from a three wire appliance that's being thrown out. When the
power comes back, rewire the furnace to the breaker panel, and put it all
back like you found it. The furnace gets powered, and much lower chance of
back feeding, and killing a lineman.

You will need a bit of electrical knowledge, wire nuts, electric tape, safe
working habits. Note, that I didn't provide step by step coaching. If you
don't know the details, call an electrician or a friend who does. Remember,
the utility power can come back on at any second, and ignorant people can be
killed from electricity.

I installed furnaces for six years, and have worked with electricity for 30
years. It still scares me, and I double and triple check safety. Act with
wisdom, and at your own risk.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

I think I could wire a plug for my furnace. As it is, from the breaker,
goes to box on furnace, then hardwired to furnace circuit.

Really, thought about turning breaker off, then run reverse plug from
generator to box....

Greg