Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power
oil furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/
Microwave).

Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on brands
(don't want to break the bank)?

Probably

Transfer switch for this seems a straight forward install (house is
only 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers.
I assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home
wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer
switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

Why a transfer switch? Two extension cords, one for the furnace and one for
everything else, should be ample. Even if you install it yourself, a
transfer switch will set you back $200-$300. If you have a licensed, union,
professional install it, what with the possible permits and inspections, you
may be north of $1,000.

A couple of 100' extension cords will set you back less than a hundred
bucks.

The transfer switch is a no-fuss option allowing you to run (usually) up to
six circuits with the flip of a single switch. Seems to me that after
uncovering the generator in the garage, hauling it out into the air,
charging it with gas, and otherwise fussing around, uncoiling two extension
cards doesn't add much to the project.