Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

Pavel314 wrote:
On Friday, November 2, 2012 7:51:04 PM UTC-4, noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil
furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on brands
(don't want to break the bank)?

Transfer switch for this seems a straight forward install (house is only
6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume
someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our
old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30
amp) would do the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

We have a 5,500 watt generator. I ran lines from the generator to the
well pump for water, the oil-fired water heater, the oil furnace, the
refrigerator and the freezer. It keeps them all going but I have to
unplug each from the house current and plug them into the generator lines
when the power goes out. Plus we have a spare extention cord that can be
plugged into one of the microwave, coffe maker, reading lamp, etc., as needed.

I wired this all myself but wouldn't install a transfer switch myself. I
plan to get a larger generator with a transfer switch next year, having a
professional electrician do the hookup for insurance and safety considerations.

Paul

I think I could wire a plug for my furnace. As it is, from the breaker,
goes to box on furnace, then hardwired to furnace circuit.

Really, thought about turning breaker off, then run reverse plug from
generator to box....

Greg