Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Installing Manual Transfer Switch/Generator Advice

On 11/2/2012 4:51 PM, noname wrote:
Going to install a transfer switch so I can run a generator to power oil furnace, refrigerator, and a couple of other devices (maybe TV/ Microwave).

Will a 5000 watt peak generator do the trick? Any advice on brands (don't want to break the bank)?

Transfer switch for this seems a straight forward install (house is only 6 years old). Just kill the power and wire up a few breakers. I assume someone fairly handy can do this yes? (did plenty of home wiring in our old house) Was thinking 6 circuit Reliance transfer switch (20 or 30 amp) would do the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

Ok, here is some advice!
Do you own you house free and clear? If so, go ahead and do it yourself.
If there is a problem and your insurance won't pay, you are out the money.

If you have a mortgage and you have a serious problem with the switch or
your wiring and the insurance won't pay, your mortgage holder will
probably require you to pay off the balance immediately and make them
not liable for any losses.

Get it installed professionally. Not that expensive.

Paul