Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default Austrailian view of Red Cross

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
A good survivalist comments on Red Cross.
From another list.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My father was a soldier during WW2. New Guinea, Bouganville, Borneo...
that whole area. 2/2 Pioneer Battalion.

When I was growing up, he regarded charity collectors with disdain,
particularly the Red Cross. One exception. The Salvation Army.

I asked him why once. He sat and thought for while, clearly remembering.
Dad was someone that spoke very little of his wartime experiences and I'd
learned not to ask, it didn't occur to me at the time that it was because
of
a wartime experience.

"When I was in New Guinea, we always knew where the Red Cross were. Back
behind the lines, around HQ somewhere. Diggers on the front line never
saw
the buggers until they rotated back to the rear echelon. The Salvos,
well,
they were usually up there with us. Where the front line was, where the
troops were in most need. Quite a few got wounded or killed. But they
were always there, with a bit of soap, or some hot tea, razor blades, or
just a pencil and some paper to write letters home. So I'll give to
them,
but not these other useless b......s."

Many years back we were part of a hurricane rescue group hauling people from
flooded areas to dry land.

After near 36 hours with no sleep and less food we pulled up on a levee with
a RC canteen. We were offered a cup of coffee with one hand and then asked
for $1 to pay for the coffee with the other. We had no money with us. So
we passed.

Walking back to the boats we met a lady from the SA. Who also offered us
coffee. We begged off with the excuse we had no money.

Not a problem said she. So we followed her to the tent. We were given
coffee and a hot meal and DRUM ROLL tea with REAL ICE.

Again without request for $$$.

I have many such first person stories, RC on the down side ... SA on the up.