Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:10:25 PM UTC-5, Existential Angst wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ale-so-quickly

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it

all, but it's a good discussion.

For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,

catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas

amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.

After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to

store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it

beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that

urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks

spread.

This is true. I'm a bit of a low-scale prepper - generator, emergency food, water tanks. My backup fuel supply is an older F350 with dual tanks. I drive it seldom, and keep it topped up - 33 gallons. I've thought about adding a 3rd tank in the bed. There is a 100-gallon tank w/transfer pump on CL right now that is tempting.