Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird Tire valve problem

Thanks, I've never seen that. Something else to
know, for such moments.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

The tire shop said I had a very rare problem. The brass part of the
stem is molded into the rubber part. The brass part became loose in the
rubber part. The guy took a plyers and pulled the brass part right out
of the rubber part, just to show me. I was thankful he took the time to
show me. He said he's seen it before, but very seldom. It's just one of
those rare things that can happen. When I asked what caused it, he said
it could have been molded poorly, jarred somehow, or just fatigue from
age.

I could see that they were not joking about the rarity of the problem,
because the young guy who began the repair had to get the boss. The
boss was the one who told me what happened and pulled the brass part
out. He said he might see this problem once or twice a year at most.
The young guy said that was the first time he's ever seen it.

I also learned that the brass part goes all the way to the end of the
stem inside of the tire. I always thought it was just on the tip.

He replaced the stem, and 10 minutes later I was on my way. Total cost
was $8.50 plus tax. I thought that was a fair price, and excellent
service.