Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default internet controlled thermostat

Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:

Home Depot has a Filtrete 7-Day Touchscreen WiFi-Enabled Programmable
Thermostat with Backlight

I remember a few years ago I looked into internet-compatible
thermostats.

What I found is that they didn't allow for direct communication between
you and them over the local lan or the internet.

Instead what they do is communicate with a hard-coded server (owned /
operated by the company that makes them) and you have to set up an
account on that company's server in order to access and interact with
your thermostat.

If you're an iSlave fan-boi, then you would probably salivate over this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA...2nd-generation

============
Nest Learning Thermostat 2nd Generation
Programs itself. Control from anywhere

$250

The Nest Learning Thermostat 2nd Generation remembers what temperatures
you like, turns itself down when you're away, and can be controlled over
Wi-Fi from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. Nest's Energy History
shows you when your system was on and why, the Nest Leaf tells you when
you’re saving energy, and the monthly Energy Report shows you trends in
your energy use and tips to save more.

Don't know why they gave it the gay name "Nest Learning Thermostat".

It was first offered for sale a few years ago - then discontinued. I
guess they brought it back with this 2'nd generation version.