Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default HELP! what's going wrong here?

Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 1, 8:02 am, gpsman wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:10 am, Robert Macy wrote:

In trying to apply paint to a 'sandy' type stucco finish:

Home previously spray painted with what appears to be extremely
watered Dunn Edwards flat Interior/Exterior so bleached by the sun
that there are tones lighter

So surface has essentially been primed.

Ha!

So, why has this
turned into a fiasco?

You don't know what you're doing.

Why can't these walls be painted with a brush?

Dirt, probably, but paint does not flow into cracks, crevices and
holes the way one might imagine, you have to force it in by back-
brushing even if you spray it.

What am I doing wrong here?

Operating too far beyond your area of expertise.
-----

- gpsman

Operating too far beyond my expertise? By definition of results, true.
But, I know enough to ask.

I do have experience, and have experience in learning HOW to do. I
used to work for a professional home painter and learned all kinds of
tricks and tips, most people don't know about. To do the exterior of
our 5,000 square foot two story Edwardian house I purchased an
expensive paint sprayer . Had to prep that extensively, since it had
been allowed to deteriorate over the years before we got to it. One
side took 16 hours just to spray coat. Completely rebuilt the interior
putting it back to original as much as possible. Worked with
techniques and self taught to the extent that the local museum curator
had his restoration people come talk to me to see my workmanship and
find out how to do things the 'original' way for restoring their
buildings. [the house was built in 1906 using materials that boggle
your mind, like REAL 2 by 4's actually 2 by 4 in size, and hand sawn
wood timbers and planking.] One example, I showed them how to brush
paint yet obtain a surface as smooth as formica and always better than
spray painting. However, I did get close to that flatness by using an
artist's airbrush with variable spray pattern to do the 80+ frames in
the french doors..Beat 'hand cramp' any day.

The idea of dirt I considered first, so I scrubbed the wall section
the day before, but to no real improvement to the symptoms of my
problem. Plus, the problem that prompted me to post here today has
just occurred over a new layer of paint unlikely to have been caused
by dirt.

As far as nooks and crannies go, I kind of thought that if the brush
can't fill that then a roller would fare no better. Even spray
painting will have its ability challenged to fill well.

I would have wet it and noticed how water flowed and stuck. Wondering about
waterproofing ?

I brushed half my cinderblock with same paint. No noticeable color changes.
Slap paint on, then tap into holes. I did stir the paint.

Greg