Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Countertop ideas for a workbench?

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:40:46 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 10/31/2012 11:31 PM, wrote:
I use three layers of ¾ plywood.
I started out with two
but when I bolted the vise on I realized I needed another layer.

I have a very heavy duty vise, must weigh 75 pounds, so I need a strong top.

I always lag screw my vises at the corner of the benches, which are
made of 2x4's. Whether I've used 1/2" plank or 3/4" plywood for the
top, at least 2 screws go into the 2x4's. You can bolt and washer
anyway, so that vise won't come loose.

I will be doing a lot of electronics work on the bench as well, so I
want a smooth top.

Planking and plywood are smooth. I coat my benches with cheap white
latex paint. Like 'em white for the light reflection. I don't beat
on them, and they stay smooth.
If you're nicking them up past what you want, use hardboard as
gfretwell said.