Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default Power for Well Pump

On Nov 1, 2:22*am, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:28:28 -0400, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:05:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Used to be able to buy solar powered well pumps. Sunelco had them, but that
was decades ago.

Lehmans used to have shallow well mechanical pumps.

Inverter, from the car battery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"John F. F." wrote in message
Hi all,
For those of us who are on private wells dependent upon electric I'm
wondering what, if any, *alternate methods and techniques *anyone has
without using a generator to operate their well pump.

If yopu have a 1/2 HP well pump it will quite likely be 110 volts -
and draw about 400 watts running and *800+ to start. An inverter would
be feasible for that.

A 3/4 or 1HP pump is almost definitely going to be a 240 *volt unit so
you would need a 2500 VA surge capable 240 volt inverter - which will
draw just over 200 amps from the battery to start the pump and close
to 100 amps to run the pump. *At 5 GPM the battery is good for
something like 100 gallons of water on a real good day. The engine
would need to be run at about 1500 RPM on most vehicles to hold that
level of output for extended periods - and if it is a GM, you will be
replacing the alternator next week if you run that kind of load for
over about 20 minutes.

My submercible pump is down 370ft. *It's a 1.5HP 220V. *I did run it
once from a generator when there was a long term power outage. *I
borrowed it from a neighbor, and it was a huge power plant on wheels
that connected to the PTO shaft on my farm tractor. *It worked fine.
But I cant imagine trying to run it with an inverter. *And even less on
a solar panel, unless the panel is huge, with a bank of batteries and
electronics.

The old farms used to have a windmill for these deep wells, and if the
wind was not blowing, there were ways to spin the shaft in the well with
a tractor, engine, or even a team of horses. *Those days are long gone.
If the power from the grid goes out, you're screwed, unless you have a
large generator, and good supply of gas to run it. *Because if the power
goes out in the area, th gas stations have no way to sell gas.

Wrong. The old windmills were a piston pump, Operated by a "sucker
rod" that
when up and own run by the gear head on top of the tower. there was
no rotation other than the axle the fan was attached to. If there was
a way to make it work with horses, I never heard of
it. I suppose it wouild be possible but highly unlikely.

Harry K