Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to call & Where to get Siemens breaker "lever joiners"

On Nov 1, 9:19*am, bud-- wrote:

On 10/31/2012 6:15 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

The subject says it.

I need to know what to call and where to get the little sheet metal
"lever joiners" which can tie together the levers of the center two or
the outer two of the levers in this kind of Siemens breaker.

I'm seeking them to fit the last breaker on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/bsuetef

Thanks guys,

Jeff

They are, in general, called "handle ties". I have never seen them for
the half-width breakers in the link, other than what comes with the
breaker. The linked breaker comes with a tie for the center 2 breakers
and a tie for the outer 2.

I saw one place on line that has fairly cheap used "recertified"
breakers, from which you could salvage the handle tie (if it comes off).

Jeff, unless the breakers have an internal common trip mechanism, tying
the levers together may interfere with one of the breakers tripping in
an overload situation. O_o

TDD

Should never happen. Breakers have a feature called "trip free". It will
trip no matter what the handle is doing. If you are closing the a
breaker on a fault the breaker has to trip even though you are still
holding the handle in the on position.

On the other hand, if you tie the handles of separate breakers, a trip
on one of them will not reliably trip the other one. Handle ties are for
a common disconnect, not a common trip.- Hide quoted text -

I always thought they were for a common trip, good to know