Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 10/31/2012 7:25 PM, gregz wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
For $36.49, I'd buy two eaches $9.97 fluorescent lantern from Walmart, their
house brand "Ozark Trail". Use the rest of the money to buy Raoyvac D
batteries.

My experience with LED lanterns, the light pattern is really not very even.

How's yours? Are you pleased with it? Didn't mean to rain on your parade,
but my experiences are different.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Pavel314" wrote in message

Here's a good alternative to candles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

We bought one of these over a year ago and keep it plugged in and charging
up all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and
bright and very convenient. Besides the wall charge, it can also run off 3
AAA bateries or you can charge it up with the generator crank on the side.
We're going to get a couple more for the next hurricane.

The only thing I wish I'd done to prepare was to check the drainage system
by my wife's greenhouse. It was clogged with leaves so we ended up with a 3"
puddle in front of the door; since my boots are 6" that wasn't a problem,
just an annoyance.

I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and run it for
about five minutes, just so it doesn't rust. (I changed the oil last
weekend, figuring that it might get heavy usage during the storm.) Depending
on the season, I'll also start the snow blower or garden tiller at the same
time to make sure they're ready for action.

Paul

What I have been using for years, camping, working, in the dark, the best
thing to have, at least one. Check link. If you don't have one, get one.
Candles are good, and make heat, for power outages. I use kerosene for heat
in those cases. I now also have gas stove.

http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-te...lockType=G2 2

Greg

That's exactly what I have sitting on my desk right now. I found two at
a couple of dollar stores about 5 years ago and have been looking for
more of them since a drunk broke one of my lights last year. ^_^

TDD