Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Countertop ideas for a workbench?

On Oct 31, 3:31*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:40:32 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .
I tore out the workbench that was in the garage when we bought the house
(too high, too short) and am building a 3' x 10' bench, and it's almost
done, except for the top.

I need to choose a top. I'm thinking of two 36" x 80" solid core doors cut
to 36" x 60" each. These are a big expensive at $65 each, but I think
plywood is too thin, and AB plywood isn't that much less than the doors.

Any other ideas?

Make the under part of the top with scrap wood then put a layer of laminate
(hard plastic/synthitic works well) 'wood' flowing on the top. *We have one
area of the shop that we reguild generators and pumps. *Beats the hell out
of the laminate but keeps on ticking.

Since you don't need much left overs or borken boxes are cheap.

I got a pretty good sized chunk of second hand pure white Corian. It
is not enough to cover the whole workbench but it does make a nice
work surface for working with small parts like carburetors-

That's a perfect example of why there is no one answer to the
workbench top question. I want a top that I'm not afraid to abuse
(thus the 1/4" replaceable hardboard) while other's might want a
perfectly smooth and pristine surface for working with small intricate
parts.

It all depends on what the workbench will be used for.