Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Manhattan electrical substation explosion

On Oct 30, 2:48*pm, Oren wrote:
Video:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/americas-newsroom/index.html#/v/1933950...

When we had an Ice Storm a few years back, the pole transformer across
the street from my house blew up. Nothing as big as in that video, but
SWMBO and I happened to be looking out of the window at the time and
saw it start to spark and arc until it blew. My power was already out
because a limb had taken the wires out a few hours earlier.

Before the utility contractors came around, I cleared all the branches
off of my wires and laid the wires on top of a 5 foot board-on-board
fence, between the pickets, basically making them as safe as possible.
I was home when they came by, pointed out what I had done and the boss
said it was OK to hook me up. My neighbors on both sides had done
nothing to clear their wires and the contractors didn't hook them up
for a few more days, after a different crew had a chance to get the
branches off of the wires.

I was a little surprised that they even hooked me up with the wires
lying on top of the fence and within reach of your typical human
being, but they did and I was glad. I can't remember how long it was
before I got an electrician to reattach the wires to the house, but it
was at least a week.